Ti Bei Xie Bei
I’m not sure why the title is called 題北謝碑 . If someone has an explanation, please let me know.
一為遷客去長沙,—Yi wei2 qian ke4 qu4 Changsha,
西望長安不見家;—Xi wang4 Changan bu4 jian4 jia;
黃鶴樓中吹玉笛,—Huanghelou zhong chui yu4 di2,
江城五月落梅花.—Jiangcheng wu3 yue4 luo4 mei2 hua.
(1) 做了那遷謫[1A]的客人, 要到長沙地方去,
(2) 我回頭向西邊望到長安, 早已看不見我底家鄉了;
(3) 偶然路過這座黃鶴樓, 耳躲裏聽得裏面有人吹起玉笛來,
(4) 這時候, 江城正當五月,怎樣還吹唱著落梅的曲調呢?
(1) As an official, I have been demoted and banished to Changsha,
(2) On my way to a new place I look west to Changan[2B] but I cannot see my home as I have already travelled far away from it;
(3) By chance I pass through the Tower of Yellow Crane[3C] and I hear someone playing bamboo flute.
(4) Now it is in the 5th Month of the year why this man is playing and sing the song of Luo Mei (落梅花)[4D]
(1A) 遷謫(qian zhe) means to relegate a high official to a minor post in an outlying district (as a form of punishment in feudal times). In Chinese it is being banished or exiled (是貶到外省去做官的人.)
(2B) 長安 (Changan) 就是現在陝西省長安縣 is the present day Xian city 西安市.
(3C) 黃鶴樓 (Yellow Crane Tower) is in Sheshan (蛇山) in Hubei province (在今湖北省城外蛇山山麓.
(4D) 落梅花 (Luo Mei Hua or Falling Plum Flower which is only happened in winter. Li Bai, the autor, said that the time was in May.) is the name of a song (是曲名.)
CHUNG Yoon-Ngan (鄭永元)